Location: Western Africa
Surface Area: 238,540 km2
Population: 27.4 million
Major Cities: Accra 2.2 million, Kumasi 2.06 million, Sekondi-Takoradi 445,205, Sunyani 248,496, Tamale 233,252, Obuasi 175,043, Cape Coast 169,894, Koforidua 127,334
Major Languages: Asant, Ewe, Fante, Boron (Brong), Dagomba, Dangme, Dagarte (Dagaba), Kokomba, Akyem, Ga, Twi
Colonial History: Under United Kingdom rule
Official Language- English
From 2013 – 2016, the AE Ghana Team has been responsible for the overseeing of four missions, and a fifth will take place in October 2017.
In 2013, there was a mission to Kasoa in the south, just west of Accra. In 2014, a mission was organised to Mankessim, to the west of Accra. In 2016, the Greater Accra East Mission took place in January. The total number reached through these missions was 28,775, and the number of decisions for God made was nearly 6,000! Late in 2016, the AE Major Mission was to Kumasi in the north of Ghana. 19,000 people heard the Gospel and 2,865 people accepted Christ.
In 2017, a mission to Accra is scheduled for late October.
April 2017 (Prayer points provided by AE Ghana Team Leader Rev. Bernard Sachie.)
- Pray for dedicated Working Committee members for their sacrifices. Mission set up and execution demands time and energy – let us pray that God will enable our volunteers to perform effectively.
- Pray for Rev. Sakyi-Yorke, the Local Coordinator for the Accra South Mission. Pray that God will give him wisdom as he coordinates the mission activities.
- Pray for the heads of churches in Accra South. Their support and encouragement will go a long way to make the mission a success. We need them to mobilize their members to partake in the mission.
- Pray for our local fundraising efforts to be successful.
- Pray for the people of Accra South, that their hearts would be opened to the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Pray also for the move of the Holy Spirit during the mission so that many lives will be touched.
- Pray that the churches in Accra South will keep working together in unity to share the Gospel of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.
- Pray for the favour of God to lead us into setting up of special leadership meetings.
- Pray for African Enterprise team and volunteers. Pray for divine protection, strength and covering of Jesus’s blood before, during and after the mission.
- Pray for every evangelistic meeting and for open doors for us to share the gospel. Pray for the Lord’s blessing on every speaker and volunteer.
- Pray for the Medical Team that God will work through with them to bring healing to the sick.
TEAM LEADER: REV. BERNARD OWUSU SACHIE
Bernard joined AE Ghana in 2006 as Project Manager and Accounts Officer, moving to a Mission Coordinator role in 2010 before becoming Team Leader in 2014. Prior to working with AE, Bernard worked as a school tutor, and later as a Pastor of Grace Community Church in the Brong Ahafo Region of Ghana. Bernard has a particular heart for teaching and mobilising people for evangelism, and he has as a result been involved in coordinating multiple conferences across Ghana and wider Africa, including the AE focus mission for 2016 in Kumasi. Notable projects in Ghana include the Street Children Apprenticeship Programme (SCAP) and a Women’s Rehabilitation Project.
PROJECT 1: STREET CHILDREN APPRENTICESHIP PROGRAMME (SCAP) -JUNE 2015
In Ghana, over 50 percent of the population are under the age of 25, and nearly 40 percent under the age of fifteen. Of these young people, thousands are street children, and the numbers are increasing. AE has recognised the problem needed to be addressed, and have been slowly retraining a small number of children each year through the SCAP. These children go on to be empowered adults, equipped with skills to live useful and successful lives. The project takes place in Accra, the nation’s capital. In the last four years over 200 children have been trained in a variety of vocational skills including: dress making and tailoring, computing, hairdressing and beauty, aluminium fabrication and auto mechanics. The young people are also taught the Gospel, to show them their biggest need – Jesus. In 2017, the goal is for 50 street children to be trained. By God’s grace, these young people go back to transform the communities that they have come from. Partner with youth programmes here.
PROJECT 2: WOMEN’S REHABILITATION PROJECT
Along with ‘Streetism’, or children and young people living on the streets, the number of women engaged in prostitution in Ghana is troubling, especially in big cities likes Accra and Kumasi. The Women’s Rehabilitation Project in Ghana aims to drive out commercial prostitution in these urban places through teaching women about the redemption that can be found in Jesus. It also aims to retrain these women with the skills to feel empowered once more, and to rebuild their often shattered self-esteem. Training includes vocational skills building in areas including: detergent production, batik making and screen printing, soap making and pastry baking. Hundreds of women have been trained since the inception of the programme, and by God’s grace, 40 more women will be trained in Ghana in 2017. Please continue to pray for these women to come to know Jesus and be restored in both spirit and body.
It is always a joy to witness transformation that takes place in the lives of people who come in contact with Jesus Christ through an act of generosity.