“Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times in every way. The Lord be with you all.” 2 Thessalonians 3:16
Burundi, the third most populated country in Africa is also known as “The Heart of Africa” because of its appearance on the map. It is unfortunately largely poor and underdeveloped. Due to its poverty, the country suffers from severe malnutrition.
This beautiful country has experienced a long history of tension between the Hutu majority and Tutsi minority, fighting for ethnic dominance. As a result of civil war, the country has one of the lowest gross national products in the world with most people relying on subsistence agriculture. Sadly because of the lack of opportunities, the people of Burundi are victims of forced labor and sex trafficking.
Since gaining its independence, the country has been guilty of widespread violations of human rights and corruption. On 18 May 2022, Human Rights Watch published a report that human rights abuses have worsened since General Evariste Ndayishimiye became the president in 2020.
This is a country that needs God more than ever. The truth of the Gospel has been infiltrated by syncretism and false teachings. Most Bible schools have closed down and the country is left with very few trained leaders and pastors.
Let us pray
- for reconciliation, peace and spiritual awakening among the Tutsi and Hutu people.
- that God will bless the work of missionaries and that they will be able to work freely and without intimidation.
- for so many people in the country that still suffers from trauma and sadness, that their brokenness will be healed in Jesus’s name.
- for the local churches that Biblical truth will be preached and that they will reach out in love to the suffering.
- that violence will end in this beautiful country and that Burundi will become a beacon of peace, not a country known as fear and death.
- that God will put righteous leaders in the government of Burundi so that bad governance can be stripped away, corruption can end and the economy can be steered to new heights.
- for revival in Burundi.
- let us pray if it is God’s will, to help AE find a way back into Burundi again.